Thursday, August 6, 2009

We share! Deer flies, birds, bambi, we like to share!

We share the fields with the birds. Spur finds nothing more fun than chasing a mob of birds! I managed to capture both dog and bird, but the event is so fast and exciting usually the camera just can't get the whole picture. To Spur, it isn't the catch, but the chase. He LOVES to run! This shot there was actually a whole flock of birds that he flushed.

We share the pasture with the deer. I know, I am supposed to not like them (we even welcome the bow hunters come fall), they devastate the farmer's crops. But, how can you not like this???? One year we even had a piebald baby. It was kind of like a pinto color. Mostly white with brown patches. SO cute, but at dusk it really stood out. It was one of triplets and one day that one didn't show up. I suspect it was coyote food. I took a bunch of photos, but that was in the day of film photography and I didn't know I had no film in my camera, darnit!
We share the woods with the deer flies. I don't want to share with deer flies, but I haven't figured out how to claim the woods all to my own, yet. With Rich to help me since I don't want to stop and take photos of the dogs bothered by deer flies, I managed to get this shot. By myself I am too busy swatting the nasty things from the dog's heads and butts. Nothing like a deer fly biting your ass! They seem to love Roscoe's ass!! Spur has too much hair on his ass. Colby can sometimes actually catch them. I think she even then just eats them.



Roscoe - normally hates to be touched, but in the case of swiping off deer flies he runs for his wipes!

Oi, I am counting the days till this cycle is over. It is nasty out there! Roscoe has now figured out if he just RUNS through the woods road and into the open field it is a better deal. Run, Roscoe, Run!!!

2 comments:

  1. Bambis!! So cute I didn't know about bow and arrow season . . . :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's the deal..........we have lots of wetlands and in order to stop hunting we would have to post every 50 feet. Not sure how we would do that in some of the swamps? So, since hunters are incredibly territorial and protect their claims, we find it's best to just invite them, know who they are and how to contact them at any time. Then essentially they police our land for us. And, since the Maxwell's are so devastated by deer the hunters are welcomed over there anyway and out land all connects. This way we all know who is hunting where and we have control over things. And, I don't think anyone has taken a deer out of here in a couple of years. I know that's the "goal", but really I think they just enjoy the whole event. The hunter with the most success ended up with a major knee issues and hasn't hunted here in several years. He used to set up a motion triggered video camera and I always had grand plans to go out some night in some crazy costume and do some wierd woods dance in front of it.

    ReplyDelete