Wednesday, August 19, 2009

95 degrees, what??????

Yesterday we spent the day sweating. Colby spent some of it standing in the blue water bucket in their pen (drat, camera was left in the truck then). No working out of the truck when it's 95 degrees. We tucked into the edge of the woods to get as much shade as possible. During the morning it was sunnier, but the trees provided nice shade in the afternoon. You can't see Roscoe in this shot, he's being a snob in his crate. At this point the dogs are all exhausted and not barking like crazy monkeys every time I brought out one of the other dogs. They all had to tag along, even though Spur was the only one working. Rich is off on vacation, flying to some crazy place in Canada. I hope he made it. He bought a new inflatable life jacket for his plane. Should that make me worry? It was a "Spur seminar" with Alicia Calhoun in Buxton. Spur did great, looking a LOT better than some of the dogs, so that made me feel good! He had times of trotting and looking worried, but most times he worked really well. Of course, at home he's a World Champion, fast and crazy, nutzo, slammin' his weaves with his head down for extra speed, racing his dog walk and nearly beating me to the end, wrapping tight turns around jumps and zooming fast into tunnels. Yesterday his weaves were nicer than any of the dogs, but the rest of the stuff he was all ho hum, not so sure, kind of pokey, not the zippy fast, monkey pants man I have at home. Get in front of others and he (we) melts some. It's just never the same when other people are watching. BUT, he looked no different in 95 degrees than any other temp, so at least I know he can work in the heat. He did great and worked all day and I am very proud of my Little Spurminator. I planned to bring out Roscoe or Colby later in the day, but Spur kept showing promise and desire to work! My old favorite............"Moments of Brilliance". That's my Spurminator!

Here they are at the end of the day looking tired, but in the shade at least. This was our last run of the day.

Just before that last run. Yes, that's Sponge Bog Square Pants on their bed. I soaked the bed in water, so it was nice and cool for them.

Using Colby to make Spur jealous before I brought him out. We were rewarding contacts, Amanda Shyne style. Easy game, lots of reps. "Find yer It".......actually that's what Amanda says, I say....."Go Hit It"..........but it sound so similar I don't know the dogs would care the different. They speak dog, not English. Wah, wha, wha, wha, wah, but they do hear the occasional sharp sound likt "It"!! :D




Finally, during the last run of the day parts of the ring were in the shade. Phew!!! Doesn't make for good photography, though.


What did I learn?? Mostly a better way to toss his treat bag and remove him from it, but not to remove the bag from him. Send to the bag, run and open it or leave it open, let him eat some, then pull him away from the bag. Never facing the dog. I guess that's important. Others have told me that. I guess I should listen. Their all like Champion, Champion, Champion trainers, so I guess they know what they speak? I learned Spur can work in the heat. I learned that I don't like the heat. I learned that Spur has really, really good weaves. I knew that! I learned that my little Monkey Pants is still worried and needs a LOT more time. I learned that we have Moments Of Brilliance. Did I learn enough? I don't know. I wish I could say YES! It wasn't a cheap seminar. Maybe the treat bag thingie will be more important than I think. I mean, they are like Champion, Champion, Champion trainers.


No comments:

Post a Comment