Friday, August 21, 2009

It happened. Two years ago today.

The biggest puppymill bust in the history of Maine's Animal Welfare department. I sometimes wonder what would have happened to this sweet little boy had I not taken him. And where are his siblings now?He is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known and I am SO happy to have him as my little buddy. I have never had a dog who loves everyone he meets. It's all about Spur Love, love, love, love, love, he loves with no boundaries, no predujices, no considerations, he just loves everyone. He loves George, too, even when Kathy doesn't feel the "George Love", Spur feels it. He worships George. He love Stella, the shihtzu and Lisa and Douce and Mr. Jones, even when Mr. Jones beats him up, he loves Mr. Jones. He loves Justi, the Malinois, but he pretends he doesn't love her that much so she won't be offended by being loved by a little dog. He loves his agility instructors. He loves...........and I love him back, every day with little Spur is the best day ever, it's all love, love, love!

Sweet Little Punkin Head Monkey Pants Crazy Man Spurminator!!!

My best little buddy!!! When I send in his AKC mixed breed registration, which is coming up in October, his official name will be - "Trout Brook's Spur of The Moment". See, we call our farm Trout Brook Farm. Trout Brook runs smack through the middle of our property. My family all asked me if his name was because he was a spur of the moment decision. Sounds good to me!!!

I will never forget the whole event. From the first day there, helping to clean kennels, apply eye ointment, treat ears, feed, help sex puppies (I probably helped sex him, but I don't remember exactly there were SO many!!), do lime dips. It was horrible, messy work and kind of unnerving since the place was on high security, with hired police guards to keep us safe from the Frascas. :O We had to follow protocol strictly and sign in and out and got lectured on what to do if one of the Frascas approached us. It never happened to me, but I guess it did to others. Then the transition to the temporary shelter on Bishop Street. Not the best deal, no drainage, so cleaning was difficult. The volunteers and hired help were tremendous and it was rewarding, but very hard work. I think I cried in a cage with some worried, troubled dog at least once each time I went. The dogs were scared and sick and some had lots of trouble with all the activity going on trying to care for them and treat the diseases. It was a busy place and the kennel they were used to probably had very little activity. The bare minimum is what it seemed. Their lives were suddenly very different and it was hard on many of them.

Spur got out at 5 months old and he sure has been a lucky boy!!!! I love this little dog. He's a pleasure every single day!!!! One of the nicest dogs I have ever known, for sure. A gem!!!!

He has two Pin Heads to keep him company. He loves his Pin Heads, even Roscoe, he loves............



- don't they look like trouble?????.................

He gets wax beans to eat when picking is good and the picking is good today, so we celebrated this two year anniversary with a wax bean party............
He shares..........

Roscoe got his beans, too, but he kept eating them too fast for the camera. Little stomach with four legs and some fur!!!! >:/
Happy Puppymill Bust anniversary! We are feeling the Spur LOVE today!!!!
**Update!! Am I losing my touch? I can't believe I forgot to jump on my soap box and discuss puppymill purchases!!! This place had SIX absolutely lovely websites for the dogs. Beautiful photos of puppies with kids, playing by the swing set, on soft beds by the woodstove. HUH??? These dogs lived in cement kennels!!! It is very easy to make a website and make it look like these dogs were raised in a loving home. PLEASE, please, please do not fall for this sort of thing. A good breeder would NEVER sell their puppies on the internet and ship them across the country to someone they have never met. A good breeder requires that you come meet them and see the dogs. A good breeder will want to interview you personally. Besides, there is no way to know a good breeder without stepping foot at their home where the dogs are raised. You can never know unless you see for yourself. Do not just mail order a dog because the person on the phone sounded nice or the website looked good with photos of pups with kids and grass and toys and soft, fluffy beds. That can all be made up, so PLEASE do not buy a dog that way. I see and hear about that sort of thing more and more these days. The internet is an incredibly attractive source, but you never know what you are really buying without actually going there and checking it out in person. You NEVER know! Spur's kennel had SIX lovely websites. They shipped their dogs all over the country. They made all sorts of claims and it was very easy to believe them by looking at the photos. Do not fall for that. Mail order pups are becoming more and more popular and I just don't understand why people are falling for it. Every pet bought this way supports people like this and promotes more and more sadness for these dogs. Don't do it! And the pet stores are buying from these sources. There were over 100 complaints to the BBB against the Frascas filed by area PET STORES!!! Do not believe any pet store that says they buy from good breeders only. It is never true. A good breeder would NEVER sell their pups to a pet store.
Stepping down..........

No comments:

Post a Comment