Monday, August 24, 2009

Is deer fly season coming to an end????

With one swat of my hand on Roscoe's back I killed these two buggars!! Nasty critters! They have kept us out of the woods, which stinks in this weather because it would be cooler and nicer in the woods. They seem to like the cool, shady areas, so we stick to open fields. It does mean we have to RACE through the woods that connect the two fields. Roscoe races ahead, but often runs back so I can swat the flies off his poor bum or tender ears. However, as you can see in this photo the dogs are not racing and not doing the deer fly dance!! They are slowly passing along on their merry deer fly cycle. Do they go to deer fly heaven?? That's a place I don't want to go. I don't care where they go, so long as they GO...........Wahoooooooooooooooooo......... Even the horses are taking note! That fence line is the "gate" I open up when they want to head to the far pasture. They haven't been out there since the deer flies came. WAY too buggy for them. They stick close to the barn, venturing out for short periods along the woods, then racing back to the barn where the deer flies are not so bad. It's just a nasty time of year to be deer fly bait. I think this is the first time in two months the horses showed interest in going through the woods.

Soon, girls, soon I will let you out there.

Doncha just love Maine??? Ice and frigid weather for months, rain in the spring for months and months, then brutal humidity and heat and deer flies that bite. Maine, the way life should be. Right? Am I sounding irritated? Maybe, maybe just a little, cuz really this is my LEAST favorite time of year. Heat and humidity is my downfall. I can't do it, I can't handle it, I can't get anything done in it, I HATE it and thank my lucky stars it lasts just a few weeks around here. Although my all time favorite season is quickly upon us and that makes me VERY happy..........come FALL and I am ONE happy human!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment