Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When poodles attack and 20 years and counting!! It's just a day!

Oh, so you want to know about the vicious poodle attack first? Last night at class Colby was attacked by a vicious, nasty, horrid, POODLE!!! OK, you don't believe me? Well, really, it was Little Miss Sunshine's fault. No, that's not right either. It was MY OWN STUPIDITY!!! Colby is now ten. She has slowly started getting bitchier and bitchier. Yes, she's a bitch! And that doesn't just mean a female dog. She is snarly, grumpy, bossy, snappy, pushy..........BITCH! And I need to pay more attention. Lovely poodle wandered into our space. Yes, that wasn't necessary, but instead of getting in between or making sure I had Colby under control, poodle was just hunting for dropped treats, I let her sniff said poodle. I am remembering those days she happily greeted every dog. My social butterfly, always happy to meet other dogs, I remember those days. I was so proud to have such a dog. Happy go lucky, easy going, non-reactive, loves people, dogs, kids. What happened to that dog???? That dog is in my memory bank and I must remember it's in the bank, not in reality. Said poodle didn't deserve the nasty explosion from said BITCH!!!! I must remember reality!

As for 20 years -
I feel blessed. I feel grateful. I feel lucky. I feel like I am getting old. TWENTY YEARS!!??? It is our 20 year anniversary today. We have ultimately been together for 26 years. I never wanted kids, so I made damn sure he didn't either. Rich is awesome and I think we handle things so well by allowing each other to do the things we love without interfering. In fact, today is classic. What are we doing? Going to a nice, romantic dinner just the two of us? Well......no......he is off to his weekly J24 sailboat race and I am off to agility class!! LOL!! Rich loves to sail and his Wednesday races are essential for his well being. He thrives on competition and his summer racing schedule is kept above all else. I love that about him. He is dedicated and focused and driven. He is a Leo! Besides, it just happened that our anniversary landed on a Wednesday. It's just a day! We will head out to some nice restaurant for dinner tomorrow night!




We met at UMO, he was the event coordinator. I asked him to book Bonnie Raitt and The B52's and he DID!!! I was hooked! A year later I left to do my internship at the Animal Medical Center in NYC and he kept my two cats. I soon sent him home a husky who needed a home. I had two more months left in NYC. He never batted an eye. I knew he was the one.




We got married on my folks farm. Farm food, farm life celebrated, a Grateful Dead take off band played for 8 hours with many family members joining in. Rich's folks came from CT and all their friends, the ladies doning their Nantucket Baskets, marvelling over the choice of the porta potty or the triple seater outhouse in the woodshed. The triple seater was WAY nicer than the porta potty! We raised all the chickens for the BBQ and Rich even had to go up to help slaughter and prepare them several weeks before the wedding. He loves to tell that story. It was good chicken. Raised well and not living cramped in cages!


He bought us a 26 acre lot in Cape Elizabeth to build our own farm. Could I be any happier??? He grew up in a suburban neighborhood in CT with only golden retrievers. Now he lives with horses, feral cats, and crazy MinPins who sleep in bed with us. And of course little Spur. I hope he is as happy as me!! I think so........he just returned from his regular morning ritual of "walking the back forty". Actually, he was fixing the birdfeeder out front, but it's always something. Walking the fence line, weeding his lily garden, cutting some brush to expose the raspberries, building the driveway pad, digging out the culvert where the guck builds up, working on his new meadow that some day could be a new house lot for us with a smaller, more manageable house. He's busy, I think he's happy, it's been 20 years and we have only had therapy a few times. I think we are doing pretty well!!!



He's the best friend I have ever had!

1 comment: