Friday, March 12, 2010

Must bring camera!

I stop doing that in the winter. My hands get too cold. Time to start the habit again because this morning I missed a photo-opportunity! The moles are active!! Well, more active, I guess I should say. I swear they have been busy all winter in my perennial garden chowing away on all my spring bulbs that are trying to sleep. My rock wall garden looks adulterated by moles right now and I am worried some of my bulbs are no longer there. Colby and Roscoe are busy "rototilling" the tunnels. Thankfully, they are focused on one area of irises that I really don't care about. Volunteer wild irises that aren't even that pretty, so it's OK, I guess. As OK as it can be to dig up my garden.

This morning on our farm walk we came across a mole "highway". It ran straight across the path and was FRESH! The dirt looked new, the mound wasn't there yesterday, it was definitely fresh and the dogs knew it. Roscoe started at one end and Colby on the other. It was amazing!! Rich and I (and Spur - who doesn't seem interested in mole hunts) stood there watching, thinking perhaps there IS a mole in there and they are trapping it between the two of them? Colby is quite good at mole hunting and instead of "plowing" her nose and digging in, she just grabs a chunk of sod and rips it out, then goes along that way. Gets the job done faster that way. It's really something to watch. Poor thing has to stop and spit dirt out of her mouth between grabs. Oi! The two met with just a nose between them. No mole. It was probably long gone? Did I say Colby was good at mole hunting? Well, kind of, if quickly uprooting the mole "highway" is good, she's GOOD!

Must bring camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment