Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wesley The Owl, a book review!

I read this book last month. I LOVED it!



My friend Laura loaned me this book. We often exchange books and I LOVE that! I am not really one to save and collect books. What good is a book sitting on my shelf? I would rather it get read by others and is passed along for eternity, instead of "eternity" on my shelves. Some books I do like to keep and refer to at times, but some books, like this one should be passed around.

I love any books about animals. It seems that books about dogs are everywhere and I have four I got for Christmas waiting to be read. Books about other animals, not so much. About owls? Rare. About raising owls? Even more rare, so this book is a gem! My first thought after getting into the book about a third of the way, and learning about Wesley, was how incredibly powerful a wee owl is! A MAJOR predator! Stacy O'Brian writes about her struggles not only raising Wesley and keeping him safe and happy, but also about her struggles finding him enough food. I was shocked to read how many mice an owl needs each day! Yikes!

Stacy is a scientist at Caltech in CA where they study owls. Wesley was found as a fledgling, injured to the point that he would never be able to fly enough to survive in the wild. Stacy keeps him and raises him. It is a remarkable story. She suffers greatly to raise this owl, but also lives a love story with him. Truly remarkable and I think anyone interested in animal behavior, especially owls, would enjoy this book. It isn't as well written as I would like, I find myself very picky about that sort of thing lately, but it isn't bad enough that I stopped reading it. No, I read it right to the end, non-stop! Like the book about Alex, the African Grey parrot, I wish the writing was better, but the story is incredible and I very much enjoyed the book. I also learned a lot about owls. Check it out! A good one to add to your reading list, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment