Thursday, January 21, 2010

USP port, setting resolution, firewalls, connectivity. What the heck?

FINALLY, got myself a "new" system. I say that loosely. Our friend Michael did it, but here I am on a different keyboard, different monitor, different desk even! I am NOT comfortable. I am not comfortable with the key board, the chair, the desk, the location. I don't have a UPS port to load photos and videos. The HORROR!!!

I even have to go load up Adobe Reader, so I can finally read things like the MinPin rescue newsletter that I am supposed to write an article for. I have to go find a new photo editing program. Michael suggested picassa. Thank goodness I still have all my contacts, all my photos and files.

Do you know how scary it is thinking you might lose those things in the switch? Scary. Scary like when you try to snow shoe in low light and your eyes can't seem to adjust and you are in an open field that you walk EVERY day and you still find yourself lost in that field, looking at the horizon wondering which way to make your snowshoe path. That scary. Seriously, that did kind of freak me out today. My sense of direction is usually really good. Eerie good. Today, not so much. Today I was in the middle of the field not knowing I was WAY off the path. Plus, I was not too happy. The snow is thick, deep and heavy. I was tired. I shouldn't be tired. I think of myself in really good shape. Like I think of myself without any grey hair. Or that tic tacs are food. It said that in a book I read about Old Dogs. Cool book.

Which reminds me of a line in the current book I am ready. It's written as if in first person by the dog. The dog complains about how us humans never keep a subject for long. Our subjects just morph into new subjects and in no time at all we are no longer talking about the original subject started just five minutes before. See, that just happened here. I was talking about my snow shoe, no - I was talking about my computer which morphed into my snow shoe, which morphed into a dog book.

So, I am reading "The Art Of Racing In The Rain" by Garth Stein. A book I got for Christmas. I don't suggest reading it. I hate to say that, but I think there are better books to spend your time reading. Just my opinion, but it isn't that great. I'll finish it because I do want to know how it ends and it is really short, but I am disappointed. I can't wait to start on my next book.

The book about Old Dogs, however, is AWESOME and any dog lover should have. It's called "Old Dogs Are The Best Dogs" and is a wonderful compilation of short essays and stories about old dogs by a pulitzer prize winner. GREAT book!! Incredible writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment