Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The ups and downs of it all!!

I LOVE fall. Have you heard that already?? Well, I do, I really, really do. I love the cool air, the colors, the thought of soon sitting by the wood stove reading book after book. Yes, I love winter, too, or some parts of it anyway. But, yesterday was all FALL. I love how the light is low and bright and highlights everything. The dogs love the smells and Spur loves the gathering geese.
The geese in the newly planted winter rye. I guess they are probably eating that? Fresh, thick grass?
Spur spots them, but chasing them over the newly tilled up ground doesn't impress him.He found a different course. See him, that tiny black blur in the left corner of the photo?

Roscoe isn't too impressed with Fall. It means morning dew, colder temperatures and many morning he has to endure clothing, which he HATES. But, look at him!!! He is pathetic and perhaps I should have put his coat on? It is a fine line, most of the walk was in enough sun for some warmth, but in this photo we had just gone through some thicker wet grass, so he got cold and wet. Pathetic.............

Our afternoon found us at Ferry Beach walking with Kathy and George. High tide, so not much beach, but it was LOVELY!! Our first fall beach walk. Just a fabulous fall afternoon! Not many people there, probably because the tide was so high. We still loved it!
Now for the down part................poor little white Leta kitty saw the vet yesterday and never came home. Turns out she was a he and was very, very sick. She/he had stopped eating on Sunday, or at least was only picking at his food. His mouth was getting worse looking. By yesterday things looked pretty bad. Poor thing was TERRIFIED at the vets, a very feral kitty, so they sedated him to get a good look at his mouth. It was FULL of ulcers. Treating such a wild kitty would have been near impossible, so we felt it best to put him down. I am bummed. But, I take some comfort in the fact that he didn't suffer a long, slow starvation in the wild. He did OK up until the last couple of days and really probably didn't suffer too much.
Little Juno has been released from her cage and is exploring the barn. She lets me pat her, has gone nose to nose with Zeus, so hopefully we have a successful feral kitty introduction! I am going to keep my dogs out of the barn for the next week, so she can settle in. She seems healthy and fine and hopefully whatever Leta had unaffected her.

No comments:

Post a Comment