Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What is with the "Pack Leader" crap?

I know, The Dog Whisperer has made that such a popular thing? He is Pack Leader, hear him roar!! OK, I guess there is something to it, but GOOD grief, Muffin Heads.............I think sometimes when I read the Pack Leader crap I wonder about why we humans need to feel so powerful? We are talking about DOGS here, not Mutant Ninja Turtles or Romulins or Aliens taking over the universe. Dogs. Just dogs. They are fairly helpless furry friends of ours, our partners, our pals, dogs.
I just read a blog that talks about the importance of being Pack Leader and not letting your dog walk ahead of you. I have read that before and like not letting your dog on the furniture because then he/she is at your same level and that makes you equals. Really? Because my dogs are on my bed or my couch they are my equals? They no longer think of me as Pack Leader because they snuggle with me on the couch, or walk ahead of me on the path?
DUDES - SERIOUSLY - WHAT THE HECK????
My dogs walk ahead of me, behind me, beside me, we walk together. They are my pals, my buddies, my walking partners. Who is leader? Pack Leader? That would be me, I guess. I rule. What I say goes. Plain and simple, I don't have to be called "Pack Leader" for that to be so. I don't have to keep my dogs beside or behind me for that to be so. It's just the way it is. I am in charge, I control their lives. I open their doors, I feed them, I tell them when we walk and when we stay home. I rule. But, just because I let them walk ahead of me does not change that. I rule. They live by my rules. Whether they are walking head of me or on the couch, the rules are made by me. They know that!
I walk dogs for a living. It's my job. The dogs can sometimes walk ahead of me, gasp. On narrow streets or paths in the woods, that is sometimes the best way, we walk single file and cars pass by or single file through narrow wooded paths, it's just how it goes. Sometimes I need them at my side. They then walk at my side. I am NO less leader by allowing them to walk ahead of me. Seriously, they know that! They don't think that because they are ahead of me they rule. Nope, they don't. Sorry, I just don't buy it. The dogs I walk all know I am in charge. It's just that simple.
I just don't get that whole deal? Pack Leader, must walk first? I suppose that's a good term, Pack Leader, but really THIS Pack Leader doesn't care if a dog in my charge walks ahead of me, behind me, or beside me. They do any of those things when I say it's OK and safe to do that.

2 comments: