Friday, May 28, 2010

I don't remember it being this hard with Roscoe

We are back to our outdoor agility classes. I am pumped!! I love classes outside! Not sure why, bugs, heat, damp grass, but it's OUTSIDE!! Yay!

But, Spur is showing stress. I turn into an alien when this happens. I know I am being judged and watched and I fall apart! Poor Spur has to deal with THAT! Roscoe, he hardly cares, so long as the treats are still somewhere around he would work. And work his heart out. Spur, it's just not all about the treats. I know I had struggles with Roscoe, but Spur seems like so much more difficult to handle. He needs "cheerleading" and that's so hard.

At home I train almost exclusively with toys. Run his dog walk, toss him a ball. Zoom out of a tunnel, toss the ball. Run through his weaves and jumps, toss a ball or frisbee. I try to bring out treats at home so he is used to treat rewards, but it just isn't the same. At class he worries about all the other dogs, so he just won't play. However, I may be able to toss him his ball reward, he gives chase, then maybe he doesn't bring it back and I don't worry about that?

I have GOT to stop the Alien from taking over at class. It's hard enough for Spur at class, so I need to make sure the Alien stays inside and doesn't come bursting out of my stomach at the wrong moment. Poor buggar just melts when that happens. I have a plan. Love my plans, they always work out, right???? RIGHT!!??? OK, now always, but it's good to make plans, isn't it? I am going to try to make my plans simple. First - lighten up about his dog walk. No hit-it board at class, it's too hard for him. Each dog walk is just slightly different and his striding isn't always the same so he missed the hit-it board like five times, but had good, awesome hits in the contact zone. I need to reward those and simply lighten up at class. Or just forget about his dog walk for a while and reward other things. Like any burst of speed!! Reward, reward, reward, he needs more rewards. For speed. He's looking really down and slow and worried, so moments of speed MUST be rewarded. I will try. I will try to lighten up, quick worrying and just lighten up! OI! It's so hard. He has the training, he knows his job, he knows the work. He just starts worrying and it all falls apart.

I WILL get this going with him. I will. Next week I am going to try putting him in a class by himself. Sharing class with Roscoe (and lately Douce and Stella) isn't helping him any, I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment