Friday, December 11, 2009

Stupid, silly, wack o Christmas photos, my poor doggies

I remember Kathy, at Fetch on commercial street, telling me one year some idiot complained about her Howlaween costume contest. Saying it was "disrespectful" to the dogs and dogs should not have to dress up in silly costumes and be make fun of. HUH???? She asked me what I thought. HUH????? Roscoe has been a constant in her contest. His Howlaween photos are legendary. Remember him dressed as the sheriff and sitting in the saddle on Gabe? Remember the Harley Dude sitting on my scooter??? I told Kathy to not let that person get to her. Very few dogs are disrespected when dressed up. To ME, it's all about teaching Roscoe to stay and to stay no matter what I ask. Stays are essential for a dog like Roscoe. He needs as much self-control work as possible. He's a dog with very little natural, innate, genetic, predisposition to STAY and have ANY self-control. Self control work has been his life saver. I credit competition obedience "stand-for-exam" work with his success handling strangers getting near him. Seriously, that work alone helped him perhaps more than anything I did.

The other side to this "disrespect" deal that makes me a little crazy..........check out some rescue websites during Christmas or Halloween. You will see tons of photos of dogs dressed up. Those are dogs who needed homes. Whose new homes dress them up. Not because they disrespect them. Not because they are making fun of them. They do that because they LOVE them. If I were one of those dogs, I would say please dress me up and give him a cookie for holding still for the camera. I would MUCH rather that than left alone, unwanted, in some cold cage at the shelter, or facing the silver needle. DRESS ME UP PLEASE!!! That's what I would say.

Roscoe's modeling work for Pet Edge? Same thing, it was invaluable! His costume dress ups? Invaluable. He knows, sit-down-stay-hold still-do not move-let some judge touch you lightly-control yer urges-these are all things that have helped him to be the successful canine good citizen. Well, he did flunk that test many times, but eventually he passed. Yes, Roscoe has a CGC to his name. Hahahahaha, Roscoe - Canine Good Citizen!!! But, he is, he will have self control, I have worked VERY hard for it and when I ask him to dress up for Christmas photos or Howlaween photos or Pet Edge modeling photos, he WILL stay. He knows - lots of cookies will arrive if he stays. He stays.

Hard to see in this photos, but maybe you can click on it and enlarge it, both Colby and Spur are sticking out their tongues. Statement? Probably! Roscoe.....waiting for his cookie.
Honestly, I don't know that these are a whole lot better than the others, but at least their eyes are not blue and sparkly and obsessed looking. My camera simply isn't great indoors, I guess. Did I mention I wanted a good one for Christmas? Rich asked yesterday. I think we are getting a new wiring set up for our stereo. I want that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment