Friday, November 13, 2009

Taste like chicken, is chicken!! A lesson on chicken sex.

The farm is always evolving. The newest addition are the chickens. There are two hutches. Danny rigged up the coolest movable hutches. My folks have always used this technique. Chicken weeding. A movable pen so the chickens can scratch and eat the weeds. It is moved daily. My folks pens were never this fancy. Danny's is SO cool! It has small bike tires on one end so it rolls along, and the cover is a truck cap. In the cap are roosts for laying their eggs. There is a rooster in each one. Kathy and I were not sure why. I know my folks always had roosters, but why? Chickens don't need him to lay eggs. If I remember right I think my folks said fertilized eggs taste better. OK, sounds good to me.

I gave Kathy some chicken sex education the other day as we walked past. Chickens have sex - hole to hole. I don't know why that fascinated me as a kid. Maybe I wondered what fun that would be? Does that make chickens lesbians? Is the rooster a hermaphrodite? No, he would then be sterile and no he isn't a lesbian, he has sperm. It's a strange visual since the rooster is a male, but that's how they do it, hole to hole. It's called a cloaca. Chicken people call it the "cloacal kiss". Sounds SO romantic!

These photos show the pen in the rhubarb field. Each day he moves the pen. The previous day's ground, which has been "weeded" and scratched up, then gets some compost added. They are now working on the second row.

The little "electric" fence around the field is there to keep dogs and people out, if possible.Danny feared his eggs were being stolen. Probably were, by kids? I think the pen might now have a lock on it, also. They get closed at night and locked. In the morning he gathers the eggs and moves the pen.

1 comment: