Friday, November 20, 2009

Darnit, I can't get the Animal Welfare License plate!

I signed up for one when they were trying to promote them, but since we get Combination plates they are not available for us. With Rich's business we need those. If I wanted to put my car magnets on the truck, I have to have Commercial or Combination plates. Most people don't know that, but especially if I were to drive through other states like MA. The laws are misunderstood and can be frustrating, but states are looking for all kinds of ways to generate income and in MA petsitters are being stopped for not having commercial plates and having logos or signage on their vehicles. There are all kinds of silly laws like that, crazy stuff if you are hauling livestock requiring special licensing and stuff. It's really nuts. Most people don't know that technically if you take your animals, including dogs and cats, over state lines you need a health certificate (within thirty days). That goes for all of us travelling for the holidays with our pets. Yep, technically we are required to inform the state we are taking our animals over state lines. I read the law, it's SO vague and crazy. Homeland security at it's best? Don't worry, you won't be stopped this holiday, I don't think. It's just something that those of us in rescue think about, a little.

When we rescued the MinPins from the puppymill bust that occurred shortly after Spur's bust the state told us we had to inform them of where each dog ended up and that they needed to stay in the state. Goodness, I can't imagine all that paperwork. We simply can not keep track of these dogs once they are adopted. We have yearly check-ins with homes, but what they do after they adopt is not in our control. The dogs very well may have left the state. The paperwork we sent with the dogs stated they were to contact the state if they moved or took their dogs across state lines. Yeah, RIGHT!! I bet that happened!! NOT!!

Somehow I seemed to get side tracked. Wasn't I talking about the really cool Animal Welfare license plate??? OK, so if you haven't gotten yours or didn't sign up and get a voucher you can still get one. Just go to your town hall and buy one. They are $20. Most town halls have them. Cape Elizabeth and South Portland do, so go get one!! They are very cool! I want one! And, no, I can't get one for my scooter, either. Double darnit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment