Monday, November 9, 2009

Roscoe "Dog Class High"

We did an APDT Rally trail over the weekend. Just one day. We have never done APDT before and it is very different from AKC. AKC has SO many strange rules. Like one time as I was lining up to get the ribbons I had Roscoe's coat on and picked him up. It was a rainy day, cold and damp and he was COLD. I was told he should not come into the ring with his coat on and that I can't pick him up in the ring. HUH??? We were just coming in for the ribbons, what possible difference did that make?? The AKC can be SO stuffy.

APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) is MUCH nicer to the dogs! It's really all about the fun of it. I learned you can even get done with your routine and let your dog jump into your arms!! How COOL is that??? In obedience!!! AKC would have a COW if I ever did that. I bet they would take away a first place ribbon for it. Really! In APDT Rally you are encouraged to speak to your dog. In AKC you are "allowed", but will definitely get penalized for too much chatter. Roscoe was DOG CLASS HIGH at this trial and I am wondering why? I think it was because it is SO much more relaxed, I could really speak and encourage him and it just fueled his fire. YIKES!!! We didn't get the perfect scores we like and have gotten used to, but the crowd thought he was HYSTERICAL!! That also fueled his fire, his fans. Roscoe has a bunch of new fans! People asked me if I could bottle his energy and sell it to them. Damn, wish I could. Trials are not cheap!

It was great fun and I look forward to the next one. Spur did so well he beat Roscoe AND Colby!! I took advantage of the ability to really encourage him and he ROCKED! He LOVED it! There were three other Buxton puppymill dogs there. Two did the trial and did pretty well. One was just there hanging out, she is a bull dog and was quite nervous. Poor thing spent years at that kennel, so she is a mental wreck and has severe epilepsy and won't ever do trials.

APDT Rally is a BLAST!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment