Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken or a Charlee Bear

Roscoe heads off to far away lands these days. In search of rodent caches. The fields are full of thousands of little nests with all kinds of yummy stuff. Sometimes they find a chicken breast, once a raw drumstick, a danish, often bread and seeds. The rodents store their food and remember the thousands of places, but the dogs have stolen many.



They look like this.......small nests in the grass......



Yum......

Roscoe heads off far away........he doesn't recall like he used to. He's the one farthest ahead. He likes it that way I think because he can get to the caches before anyone else and not have to fight over them.....



Colby stays pretty close, she's the one in the red coat. She doesn't see well enough now to go too far from me. I guess the Charlee Bears I carry for recall rewards are just not good enough for Roscoe lately. He heads off and appears to have deaf ears to my calling. I may have to power up my recall cookies. I really don't like him wandering off that far. We do have healthy foxes and coyotes around here. Haven't seen any in a while, but I know they are there and probably eating plenty of rodent caches, too!!! The lack of snow exposes all those.


Colby caught a mouse the other day and it was kind of thin. I know, rodents are the largest species on earth so there is a very good supply, but they must have a tough time in the winter without the snow cover as my dogs and all the other animals around raid their winter food supply.

When they ask me at the vet's office what my dog's diet is I just say it's varied. They eat lots of different things. Seriously, some days I have to monitor the things they eat and then feed less at meal time.


We have headed to the beach a few times lately and they eat lots of crab parts. Yum..........
A varied diet, for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment