Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pigs, cows, snapping turtles, oh MY!!!


I forgot to mention on our trip around Hillbilly Highway after our visit to Redneck City we ran into a snapper. There are several streams and a big pond that are included in our farm walks. The dogs like to swim in the pond and we have to check the edge for snappers. So far this year we had not seen any. Until this last weekend!!! One of the streams we let the dogs stop for a drink has a narrow, sandy path leading to it from the bank. I have never seen a snapper on that path, but there it was on Saturday!!! I saw if after Spur had already run for a drink. I don't think he even knew he ran over it. The only way back up without going through tough thicket is the path, with that snapper right there. I call Spur, hoping he just runs right up, which he does........phew. The turtle never flinched. Again, I don't think Spur ever saw it. Looked like a rock to him, which he jumped over without a care.

Last year we saw a couple baby snappers on Hillbilly Highway. I wish I had my video to capture Roscoe racing towards one, I suppose thinking it was a lovely dead rodent to eat, then..........chomp.......his teeth hit hard shell and he stepped back for another look, surprised at what just happened. The tiny turtle stood TALL on it's feet, trying to look impressive. Roscoe was unimpressed, since it was obviously not good pickin's, but he left it alone. Roscoe is not much of a hunter, but if it's already dead and laying there ready for consumption, consume it he does! Ick!!! And believe me once he starts chomping, there is no getting it away from him. I tried the ole......."Roscoe...........treat???..........Roscoe.........cookie?"............ THAT was a funny idea!!! I just let him munch away and routinely test him for worms. It is, after all, fresh, unprocessed food for him, right? My organic farmer upbringing says that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment