Monday, June 8, 2009

Muzzled Jewel




Jewel seems to be doing well. She is sometimes a little ouchie on that left front foot if she steps on a rock. But, mostly sound when moving around and I have been riding some. The worry I had a few weeks ago has passed, I think. Her lyme titer was still high, though, which is a major bummer. It did go down, was 1:40,000 and is now 1:10,000, but that is still a very high score. So, they are suggesting I/V tetracycline. Ugh. I can do it, but it isn't without risk. If it gets outside the vein it can cause sloughing or abscessing of the area. But, I really think I need to do this. Double ugh. Triple ugh. Quadruple ugh..........OK, I'll stop, you get the idea. UGH!!!!




She is finally figuring out the muzzle. She can NOT have lots of grass ever again, sadly. Because of the risk of laminitis again caused by eating too much grass we have to be really careful. She was NOT even trying with the muzzle, so I bought another one and cut the hole bigger. With help, she finally figured out she could graze a little with it. She figured out the drinking thing no trouble, but with the smaller hole she was not even trying to graze. I will leave this one on for a while longer then switch back to the smaller hole. Poor thing, but really it isn't the end of the world. At least she is alive!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment