Thursday, October 20, 2011

Slowly getting back to "normal"

Boy that trip just took it out of me!!!!! You have to forgive me if I am repeating myself. The days are blending together.

I sure wish I had taken more photos. But, here are a few more -
The crate area. Not exactly sure how many dogs, but on average with 1000 runs per/day and most people had 1-3 runs/dog, that equals 600 dogs maybe? Does that sound right? There were a LOT!!! It was a very big event. I do believe it is the biggest dog show event in the world, as far as how many dogs come. And this year there were 400 less runs. WOW!!!

I was surprised at how early it was done on the first few days. We were able to get back to the hotel and have a beer or shower before heading out to dinner. Lots of restaurant possibilities from the room, which was nice. Of course, Friday and Saturday nights were a lot later. Saturday we didn't get in until nearly 11:00, which stinks because we were SO exhausted no one wanted to get up for our "fun runs" on Sunday morning at 7:00 AM. Ugh. We just slept in that morning.

One night we headed into Louisville and ate at Joe's Crab Shack on the river. That was SO fun!!!! I have never been to a Joe's Crab Shack and it was an experience!!! Bought Rich a t-shirt, tie dyed orange and yellow "Peace, Love, Crabs" and unfortunately left it in the room. They might be able to send it to me, though, so I left the top housekeeper a voice message and she returns back to work this morning and hopefully has it.

Then after that dinner we took the dogs for a walk along the Ohio river walk. It was LOVELY!!!!! Warm and a big, bright moon!!! Very fun!

Never made it to Churchill Downs, though. I hear it isn't the big deal you might think. A green expanse among the cement. Louisville really just looks like any other city. Mall after mall after mall of the same stores.

We did drive past the Kentucky Horse Park on our way home and THAT was amazing!!!!! Hundreds of acres of white double fencing and neatly mowed pastures. A magnificent sight, for sure!!!!

Why didn't I take pictures???? ME??? I take pictures of my dogs eating grasshoppers, but do I take pictures of my trip to KY????

No, I take a picture of little Spur yawning in his "penthouse" crate in the car next to me after hour number........um......8 maybe, on our 13 hour last day heading home. I can't say he was physically tired, but mentally, YES.
Would I go again? Hmmm..........maybe. There were people who went just to volunteer or just to watch. Not sure I would do that???? I mean, it was a great experience and I know Spur and I both learned a ton, but it was not an easy trip. It was a lot of work, a lot of noise, a lot of dust and dirt and a lot of cement. I work outside walking dogs on the beach and sleepy little neighborhoods, I am not used to such bustle and buzz. And all that sitting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment