Friday, November 19, 2010

Copywrite infringement or the sincerest form of flattery?

I am always in search of new pet sitters/dog walkers to refer to and work with. I need them, I need folks to cover for me when I need time off, I like to be able to provide a referral service for towns surrounding my area that I do not cover. I am always picking up new folk's cards and checking out references and meeting with people. Like last weekend meeting Danielle. That was GREAT and wonderful to have someone else able to handle medical needs. Networking with others in the business is so helpful and keeps us all going strong and is a wonderful way to exchange ideas and business.

This morning I check out a new dog walker's website. WHAT????? I start reading the words and think to myself,.......huh......those words look really familiar. I go check out my site. Um, they are the SAME words!!! Some slight alteration, but essentially the SAME!!! You tell me -


From my site -

When hiring me, you can be sure your home and your pets are in the very best hands!! It is an honor to be given the responsibility to care for your beloved pets and to be welcomed into your home. I understand the importance and trust you put in me. Animals are my life, my world and I will treat yours as if they were my own.

From the new chick's site -

When hiring me you can be sure your pets are in the very best hands. It is an honor to be given the responsibility to care for your beloved four legged friends. I understand the importance and trust you put on me and I can assure that I will treat your pets as if they were my own.

It's unfortunate because now I will definitely not refer anyone to her. I mean, heck, at least find someone to plagiarize that lives on the west coast or Texas or Florida or somewhere not in the same area!! Silly girl!

3 comments:

  1. But she changed "pets" to "four-legged friends." Oh wait, that's still PLAGIARISM, isn't it??? Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but plagiarism is an unethical form of laziness. Not that I'm on a tear about this topic or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she clearly isn't very bright if she didn't think she would get caught. I mean, it's online for the world to see. Can we say duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, not smart! Definitely don't make any referrals... and perhaps even contact her about it. I mean, bottom line, it's illegal and inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete