Saturday, March 26, 2011

Worshipping at the Silvia Trkman church and a sad day for animal welfare........

We have been doing our "homework". She asked everyone to try teaching their dogs to hold a bottle or object. She wants to see as many dogs as possible learning this behavior. She calls it a "thinking trick", meaning the dog has to actually think on their own about a chain of behaviors. Ultimately, to pick it up and hold it without our help. Spur, in four short (five minutes each) sessions, figured out I wanted him to hold it. He has chosen the one arm hold, but has offered with both a couple of times. He seems to prefer one arm. Curious if I promoted his left arm or if he is naturally left "handed". Next to see if I can get him to pick it up himself, instead of me having to offer it to him. This stage almost seemed too easy for him. He's so smart!!! -



The Pin Heads are still at the paw grabbing the pole stage, which is the start of this trick. They are so frantic and offer a million behaviors it is hard to click for the paw grabbing hold for any length of time, but they are getting it. I know once they get that it will come quickly. Spur is my thinker and thinks things through very carefully and thoughtfully.

And to those of you who are not from here or are from here and live in a bubble, not reading facebook, the news or watching TV, it was a very sad week for animal welfare. The kennel owners of the puppymill bust where Spur came from got off "Scott free" this week. Barely a slap on the wrist. In 17 months they can be back in puppymill business again. It is a horrible travesty of justice that occured and I have no explanation. Just a very, very sad thing.

The state spent hundreds of thousands of dollars caring for these dogs, the least that could have happened was for these two asshole to foot some of that bill. They caused the problem, they should pay. It is just not right. I am sorry my sweet Spur, no justice for you I am sad to say......

2 comments:

  1. He's looking great with that trick! I am jealous! I've restarted with the corgi and it's just so hard for him.

    Very sad news on the puppmill case. I know the case is extra personal to you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Spur seemed to get it immediately. Interesting to see how fast he figures out to pick it up on his own.

    I would imagine it would be hard for a short limbed dog like a corgi.

    The puppymill result is really sad.

    ReplyDelete