Friday, February 25, 2011

Spur's latest running session

This was our first time with 100% success rate!! Been waiting for that to happen!! GOOD LITTLE MONKEY PANTS!!!! Silvia was SO right. No surprise there. I can't wait to send her some stuff to critique and see what she says.




I know the idea is to eventually reward only running and not jumping and technically he has many "jumps" here. True running is when back feet are seperated and he does have many hits here with back feet together. Now, that said I have videoed him on the flat and he isn't a dog that runs with feet very much seperated, but they are seperated. You can see in the slow motion how when his feet are together his body has a more humped form. Feet seperated and he is more in a straight body form. It is SO subtle and REALLY hard to tell in real time, thus my use of the hit it boards, but I am getting better at seeing it. My biggest trouble is tossing the ball. I may try using my chuck-it next time. You would not think tossing a ball was so hard, but there are times when it launches high and it really needs to be tossed low along the ground. You can see his head up on the top ramp and I think those are times when the ball has been tossed too high. I would like his head lower along the top ramp, ultimately, but that's all being way too picky at this stage.

I am very pleased with this session. To have no misses is really a nice feeling. All other sessions have been around 80% success.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I think he looks really nice. I don't have a good eye for a dog who actually has nice separation so I think you're doing fantastic with Spur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura, Lance and Vito!!! Yeah, very, very hard for me to tell if his feet are separated in real time. In fact, not sure I can ever tell when he's going with any speed. But, with Spur I don't think Silvia is going to tell me to worry too much about it, since he seems to have an understanding of his job and that's important. I bet as he gets more confident and runs more different DW's he will just get faster and faster and more accurate. It's fun work, for sure and he seems to enjoyit!

    ReplyDelete