Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Roscoe, shines at seminars!

I have sort of lightened my schedule this week due to school vacation and several mid-day regulars away and yesterday I decided to do a Lo Baker seminar in NH. This was kind of a follow up to the one in November where Spur had such a melt down. I decided to bring Roscoe and work him mostly. It was a GREAT fun seminar because there were only 8 attendees and one left early. We all got plenty of time, which is awesome!! And Spur got out to play for a bit, but it was pretty much Roscoe's day and he shined. He LOVES seminars. Not really sure why, more cookies? More time out working? I don't know, but he is great fun at seminars.

He gets all squeeky and crazy and presents challenges we don't usually have at trials and it's really fun working through those. It was a wicked fun day and Spur did fine. We learned a new weave pole game I can't believe I had never tried! Basically it is a game to help a dog do weaves without the handler moving. Not sure why Roscoe just gets that, but he does. I can stand still send him down 12 weaves away from me and he does them! Spur, not so much. Spur's great skill is weaving with me WAY ahead of him. I can basically leave him in the weaves and get far ahead. Nice skill to have, but not for a Gamble class that requires weaving away while I stand behind the gamble line.

So, this new game I learned requires a soft, highly visable treat. We used cheese, but it crumbled some, so I need to prepare bits of cheese that won't crumble. You have them do the weaves and toss the treat away at the end, then then come back and do them in the other directions. Again, tossing the treat, then they come back and do them again. Slowly, you stop moving your body and they just continue because they anticipate the treat at the end. It's pretty simple and a nice little exercise to get them weaving without body dependency. So, well practice that a bit. Not something I can do on grass, I don't think. I do think it requires a floor, but I'll figure something out. And we can do it now while we are working indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment