Thursday, June 10, 2010

Could it be any prettier???

I have had some trouble with bugs and moles in my gardens this year. The aphids nearly did in my sedum (looking MUCH better now with some good rains), the spider mites are attacking my phlox again, the scale is all over my pieris, the moles are destroying my tiny vegetable garden, but LOOK at the foxglove and delphinium!!!!! -
And I know many of my flowers will be brilliant, the lilies look awesome, the monkshood fantastic and many of my other plants are thriving and will be in full bloom soon, but I am at a loss with the moles.

I don't usually have such bug problems, but I think the strange weather has brought out many of our nasty insects and I am not one to use may pesticides. I try to just let things go and work it out, but I do use some pyrethrins on occasion and soapy water for the spider mites. The moles, um......I really haven't a clue. Colby just isn't that good at getting them. I am thinking they will leave eventually when they realise there isn't that much of interest and the yard provides more grubs. I tried the Milky Spore one year, but it doesn't seem to have worked?

2 comments:

  1. There is a windmill thumper thing that is supposed to scare off the moles especially if there is another spot nearby they can escape to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I thought I commented, but it didn't come through? Yes, we used to have a bunch of those windmills. The moles must have thought they were lovely garden ornaments. :O I don't even know what happened to those windmills, but they didn't work. I read that I should trap the mole, if I see it, between two shovels. Then I can relocate it or let Miss Colby settle the score? I need to go replant today. ARGH!

    ReplyDelete