Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Can I just tell you how hard it is sometimes?

I brought home Spur because I knew Colby would HATE a girl. We tried once.........well........sort of. See, this super, fabulous, experienced, incredible dog trainer trained this super, fabulous, wonderful, INCREDIBLY fast papillon a few years ago. She then decided her body could not keep with the dog and ANY agility for that matter and was going to focus on herding with her border collies. So, she retired her older paps and needed to find an agility home for her youngster, the super fast, super fabulous NINA!! I wasn't looking for a dog at the time, but had planned on one at some point. My friends all pressured me to think about Nina, so I did, for ONE FREAKIN', GROWLY, NASTY, BITCHY, CRAZY second.

We were at a trial and one of my friends insists I consider Nina. My biggest issue was home harmony, so she had to pass the Colby-test. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! THAT was funny!! We got about 3 feet from Nina and BOTH dog's eyes dilated and the fur raised on their backs and in the quickest second you could imagine a bitch fight would have erupted had they not be leashed. OH - MY!!

It was kill-at-first-sight.

Jan just smiled and turned around looking for another home for Nina. She would find one, Nina was a fabulous dog. She wasn't coming to Colby's house, however.

So, I knew I was best off bringing in a male dog if I wanted home harmony. OK, so perhaps that has been the case. Spur has been here for 2 1/2 years now and we have relative harmony. The trouble is as he is maturing he has gotten a little sick of being bullied by Roscoe. And on occasion he has challenged Roscoe. Which now puts home harmony a little in jeopardy. And it puts Roscoe in a bit of an emotional turmoil. He's out of sorts. He takes it out on Colby at times. Poor thing never, EVER challenges Roscoe. She doesn't like home harmony to be in jeopardy. She likes peace. She works hard to keep peace. Maybe she would have been OK with a female coming here. NOT Nina, but maybe another one. I don't know. Because now I have this male-male issue going on.

I hate to see Roscoe's mental state teeter. We have worked so hard for his mental sanity. But, there isn't much I can do. We live together, all of us and he has to deal. It is what it is. I try to make sure he feels special. It's hard because he isn't sweet like Spur. He's an asshole. But, home harmony is important to ME, too, so I do what I need to do. And I do feel bad for him, no matter how much of an asshole he is, he is "special". He isn't right. He's messed up chemically and I would not want to BE him.

I am looking forward to BARK camp. He LOVES BARK camp and it makes him feel special. We do that next month. Sigh...............

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amy...I love your posts...even assholes need love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, teri, you know I LOVE him, asshole and all. I SO want to praise Spur for finally "growing a pair", but, with Spur being nearly 3, and Roscoe being 11, I MUST protect Asshole Roscoe. Spur is 1/3 again bigger than Roscoe and the whole age before youth thing - so I have to protect Roscoe. Love that little asshole!

    ReplyDelete