Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dead of winter

Out back on the farm we have a small hill we call "Road Kill Hill". It's a dead zone, where the farmer leaves dead ground hogs that were trapped and killed on the farm so they can watch the turkey vultures have a meal. They actually haven't left anything there in a long time, but we still call it that. It's just a small knoll/rise and full of rabbit? holes? Could be ground hog holes, but they don't look big enough. The dogs LOVE Road Kill Hill. They love sniffing out the rodents, on occasion catching a dumb mole or mouse. In the summer it is loaded with grasshoppers to catch. This time of year, it's pretty quiet but there is some rodent activity. The dogs love it no matter what time of year!!

The sun was SO bright the other day I tried to capture the blue sky background, the dead golden grasses contrasting Spur's incredible coloring. Somehow the sky didn't come out as blue and Spur's coat didn't shine like I remember. I think what I did wrong was not set up with the sun completely behind me. The sun was off to my right a little. (if you click on the photos I think they will come up full version - bigger) And Spur was SO focused on something on the horizon he wouldn't look at me. And then any time he did he came running to me!

Perhaps if I had just come up closer on this one. But, look at that TAIL! LOVE that tail.....


He is about to pounce on something in the grass. And, look, even Spur squints in this bright light.....


See, I called his name and here he comes, Roscoe quickly behind him!....
It's the dead of winter and the grass is sure showing it. Not much green around right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment