Monday, March 16, 2009

Lo Baker seminar

Roscoe had a BALL at the seminar yesterday!!! Goodness he has been SO pumped lately. Lo hasn't seen him work in a while and was really impressed. He was squeeking and straining to go around the courses!!! Everyone commented on what a great working dog he is. He didn't aggress at anyone or any dogs, so it was a good day. Even Spur got to play a little. He was sniffy and a little worried, but he did manage to recover and do a bit of a course!!! Everyone thinks he is the most adorable!!

We learned to be earlier with cues when needing tight wraps. We learned not to give Roscoe SO much room. Give him the room and he takes it and goes wide, so I have to MAKE sure he stays tight around wraps and tight turns. Certainly HE doesn't need all that room and since I can run I can be right there making sure he stays tight.

It was a fun day, for sure. Lo is a GREAT instructor. Focusing a lot on placement of reinforcement and being careful to reinforce exactly what you want. Especially if not to reinforce a jump after the following jump because that only reinforces that following jump. Be very, very careful about that. And that I need to toss my bait bag a LOT more getting the treats off me so he isn't so often reinforced by coming back to me. I KNOW all that, but it sure helps to be knocked into me over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment