Sunday, January 25, 2009

USDAA Amherst NH agility trial

Yesterday Roscoe competed in the "Feel The Rush" agility trial at American K9 Country. This was a Master's only event. We are trying like heck to get his MAD (Masters Agility Dog) title. All he needs is one Master's Gamble run. Gambles are hard for him because he has to work at a distance from me. Since he is only 12" tall many of the Gambles at these trials are SO far away, it seems. But, I have hope because Roscoe has been willing to head out away from me on course lately. So much so that he is starting to take obstacles off in the distance that I haven't asked for. :O I should be celebrating that, but I really need him to take the obstacles I ask and not go wide or off course!!

However, even though he didn't get his Gamble Q yesterday he still came home with two first places and a fourth. While that sounds awesome, there were only 5 other dogs in his jump class, so while he was better than the others in those two classes, that's not SUCH an accomplishment compared to a first place in one of the bigger class heights. Still, I celebrate every first place, regardless. This is a dog who would totally shut down at trials. And yesterday some great dogs were there, like Nitro the Papillon! It always feels good to beat such accomplished competition!

He is really doing well, though, and I no longer feel worried that I will have a stressed dog on the start line. He is straining to run and running with enthusiasm and that's what it is all about. Good little fellow is finally learning that it is fun and he can do it regardless of the stress around him. I have to be quite vigilant about the crowds and other dogs, though. So many handlers are not aware of their dogs and if they might be sniffing MY dog. Roscoe needs me to constantly be aware and remind the other handlers that HE IS NOT FRIENDLY and to be courteous and give us our space. People with friendly dogs just are not aware and it is a constant battle for me. Roscoe has learned he can count on my to keep other dogs from getting in his face.

2 comments:

  1. While Amy is always humble about her accomplishments, I am one of Roscoe's biggest fans and I have to say his progress in agility is amazing. I met Amy at my first agility trial ever, during a summer when Roscoe was stressing on course. It was hard to see him struggle to take a tunnel, knowing what he looked like in practice. Now he runs with his whole heart and body and he smokes the courses! Taking care of a dog like Roscoe is not for the faint of heart, and Amy's commitment to this tough little guy has really paid off. He has a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete