Saturday, January 31, 2009

Out walking

The other day I was out walking a client's dog. We are approached by another person walking two dogs. As always, I approach in a friendly manner when the dog I am walking is friendly, which this one was, and ask if the dogs may greet. This person finally blurts out that her dogs are NOT friendly, at which point the two dogs GO OFF aggressing at the poor little friendly dog I am walking! GOODNESS, why wait until the last minute, approaching me with NO indication the dogs are not friendly, then blurt out with no time to spare, that the dogs are aggressive? It is well known in the dog behavior community that the more dogs aggress, the better they get at it. Prevention is key and had she simply stated as we first approached that the dogs are not friendly I would have crossed the street and hopefully passed by without incident. When I am out walking Roscoe I clearly inform people from a safe distance that he is not friendly and to avoid us. This person, not only allowed her dogs to aggress, but put my poor little charge in a tough position, while he scurried behind me for protection. I was NOT happy! It took all my will power not to scold that person for allowing all the dogs to be put in that position. If your dogs are not friendly SAY so before another dogs gets within range of setting off your dogs. It's just common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment